Please find the link for an advertisement for a PhD position at the University of Ghent, starting September or October 2021 (https://www.ugent.be/en/work/scientific/phd-student-55 for more information). Application deadline is June 4, 2021.
A PhD position in animal experimental psychology is available for 2+2 years, co-funded by an ERC (European Research Council) consolidator grant and a Methusalem grant (Flemish government). The research will be led by Prof. Frederick Verbruggen (Department of Experimental Psychology) at Ghent University, in close collaboration with Prof. Luc Lens (Department of Biology) and Prof. An Martel (Department of Pathology, Bacteriology and Poultry Diseases at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine).
The successful applicant will join the ‘Cognition, Behavior and Ecology’ lab ([email protected]) to work on a project that focuses on response inhibition, and more specifically, the learning and development of inhibitory control in different environments (‘eco-devo’), using Japanese quails as a model species.
Response inhibition refers to the ability to suppress or cancel actions that are premature, unduly risky, inappropriate, or no longer required. Response inhibition is a key component of ’executive functioning’, and is essential for navigating everyday life. In humans, its derailment is also considered integral to numerous neurological and psychiatric disorders, and more generally, to a wide range of behavioral and health problems.
We are looking for a highly-motivated candidate with:
– An appropriate degree (preferably a research master) in psychology, biology, or a related discipline. The degree requirements must be fulfilled at the start of the job appointment
– Evidence of excellent research, communication, and cooperative skills
– Good English writing and communication skills are mandatory. Knowledge of Dutch is not required.
– Prior research experience (e.g., involvement in data collection)
– Good data analysis skills; knowledge of R is desired.
– A (FELASA) certificate for animal work or prior experience with working with animals is a plus.
To apply, please send a motivation letter, CV, transcripts of BSc and MSc courses and grades, copies of educational certificates (if applicable), and letters or contact information of two referees as a single pdf to Frederick Verbruggen ([email protected]).
For further information on the project or details about the position, please also contact Frederick Verbruggen ([email protected]). You can also find extra information about the lab by visiting our website cobe.ugent.be
Closing date: June 4 2021. Interviews are expected to take place in the fourth week of June 2021.