We are opening a 4-year STARS PhD position on the “Origin and long-term survival of Central European populations of larch (Larix decidua): combining phylogeography, paleoecology and niche modeling approaches”. The position starts 1st October 2021.
We are seeking a motivated student willing to work in a multidisciplinary team consisting of molecular ecologists, paleoecologists, forest scientists and historians. The aim of this project is exploring population genetic structure, current and past ecology of larch populations, with special emphasis on identifying lowland Holocene refugia, i.e. regions where larch has persisted continuously since the last glacial period. First, the integration of historical, archaeobotanical, paleoecological and climatic niche modeling approaches will help to distinguish potential refugia from obvious plantations. Second, selected populations will be screened using microsatellite DNA and mitochondrial/chloroplast sequencing (using NGS approach) and results interpreted together with already available data from the entire European distribution.
– master’s degree in botany/ecology/evolution or related fields (M.Sc. or equivalent obtained before the position starts)
– interest in molecular, paleoecological or niche modeling approaches
– experience with statistical analysis of ecological and/or molecular data is an advantage (but not mandatory)
– ability to conduct field research
– good English communication skills (spoken and written)
– project-funded PhD position for 4 years
– fellowship of ca. 25,000 CZK net per month (note that living costs in the Czech Republic are
significantly lower than in western Europe)
– international working environment with many students from abroad and with English being the main communication language
– work in an inspiring academic environment in the historical centre of the UNESCO heritage site of Prague
Please, apply through the STARS portal of the Faculty of Science, Charles University
https://stars-natur.cz/phd-positions/biology) by March 11th 2021. For questions regarding the position requirements and the application submission process please contact Dr. Tomáš Fér ([email protected]).