The Collaborative Research Center SFB 1076 “AquaDiva – Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere” is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). AquaDiva is an ambitious research center with more than 70 researchers and Institutes at four faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and three non-university research institutes in Jena or Leipzig. The integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva is educating doctoral researchers in a structured, interdisciplinary training program. AquaDiva combines different research areas, such as ecology, microbiology, hydrogeology, soil science, geomorphology, geochemistry, geology, geophysics, chemistry, and information science, to a comprehensive picture of subsurface research (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de).
The Integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva invites applications for a Doctoral Researcher Position (m/f; Ref.No. ufz13/2017) at the Department of Molecular Systems Biology at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ
Quantification of microbial nutrient cycling through the assessment of key functional proteins
Our analyses will yield quantitative data on the pathways involved and the activity of specific bacterial groups dependent on metabolomic signatures from the surface and thus will contribute to the understanding of microbial activity and ecosystem services present in the Hainich CZE. The main objective is (1) targeted proteomics on key enzymes of the nitrogen and carbon cycle in the aquifers, (2) elucidation of subpopulations and the functional role in nitrogen and carbon cycling in combination with flow cytometry, and (3) metaproteomics qualitative and quantitative analysis of labelling approaches using by applying heavy labelled water for determining metabolically active species. The subproject will provide important evidence, through protein abundance to a better functional understanding of biogeochemical cycling in nature.
– A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in chemistry, microbiology, molceular biology, biochemistry; candidates expected to earn their degree by September 2017 are welcome to apply
– Solid knowledge of molecular biology; knowledge of statistics (in R) and the use of genome reference data
– Excellent technical skills in mass spectrometry coupled with liquid-chromatography, cultivation of bacterial cells, standard molecular biology tools
– Readyness to work for extended periods in the field
– Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva
– Highly motivated and creative personalities, with an interest to shape their own thesis project
– Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
– A doctoral researcher position (remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13, 65%) with funding from Sep 1, 2017, until Jun 30, 2021, as well as generous research funding with the possibility of a three-months research stay abroad
– Opportunity for research on an innovative and unique Critical Zone research platform
– A comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors
– A communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities and training program, including participation in international and national conferences and workshops
– The place of work is Leipzig, Germany, a big and lively city with a vibrant cultural scene, dynamic business activities, and successful scientific centers of innovation, such as UFZ and iDiv, around the Leipzig University
The UFZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women are explicitly encouraged to apply to increase their share in science. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification and aptitude are given preferential consideration.
Applications should be written in English. The application deadline is July 23rd, 2017.
Applications are submitted exclusively via an online application tool: https://apply.jsmc.uni-jena.de
Selected applicants will be invited to a recruitment symposium in Jena, Germany, presumably in Aug/Sep, 2017.
For more information on the position, feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Martin von Bergen ([email protected]) and Dr. Nico Jehmlich ([email protected]). For more information on the application process, please contact the coordinator, Dr. Maria Fabisch ([email protected]) or write an email to [email protected] More project details: http://www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de/Graduate+school/Open+positions-p-213.html.