Titi monkeys Callicebus nigrifrons present a very complex vocal repertoire, and studies on their alarm calls have shown that they can encode both the type of predator and its location in the alarm sequences. This project aims to investigate deeper the understanding of those
messages by the listeners, using playback experiments and presentations of stuffed predators.
We are looking for a research assistant from beginning of January to end of March 2016 (3 months) to help a master student on the field, in the Reserve of Caraça, Brasil. It is an 11 000 ha private reserve in the State of Minas Gerais, managed by the community of Fathers and Brothers from the Sanctuary of Caraça, a former monastery recently turned into a Pousada (hotel). This place receives a large number of tourists, coming for spiritual, historical and/or naturalistic purposes. Several research take place in this reserve (geological, ecological, ethological, naturalistic research) and the researchers are housed all together in a little house near to the Pousada. The place is very simple but comfortable enough: there is hot water, electricity, internet, the meals are provided by the refectory of the Pousada (lunch are commonly taken on the field). The first city is 30 minutes away driving.
Website of the fieldsite: http://www.santuariodocaraca.com.br/inicio
Participation in the research includes:
-Behavioural data collection (scans, video recording)
-Recording of vocalizations
-Presentation of stuffed predators
The successful applicant needs:
– Really good social skills (there is few private space and few time alone)
– Interest in different culture and will to learn Portuguese if he/she does not speak yet (most of the people do not speak English there)
– Really good physical and mental conditions: Following the monkeys in the dense forest is physically demanding. Be prepared for long days without break in the field and to encounter dangerous fauna (snakes, tarantulas, big cats…)
– Have a background and strong interest in primatology, ethology, behavioural ecology or related fields.
– Have a previous experience of at least two months on the field
– Speak English or French
No salary is provided.
The research assistant will be responsible for its flight (to Belo Horizonte) and housing/meals costs, visa and health insurance. The fees at the Sanctuary (housing + breakfast + diner) are 44 BRL/days.
All transport from Belo Horizonte to Caraça and around Caraça (grocery shopping for example) will be provided.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.To apply please send your CV including contact details of one or two referents and a cover letter to [email protected]
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.