We are looking for a post doctoral researcher to work with our sDiv working group on global soil biodiversity, for two years starting in October 2016. Please see https://www.idiv.de/sdiv/working_groups/wg_pool/sworm.html for more information about the working group.
The German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) is one of the four National Research Centres funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). Its central mission is to promote theory-driven synthesis and experiments and data-driven theory in this emerging field. The concept of iDiv encompasses detection and quantification of biodiversity, understanding its existence and emergence, exploring its consequences for ecosystem functions and services, and developing new strategies to safeguard biodiversity. Under one roof, 85 scientists and 45 support staff, associated with eight new chair professor positions, three junior research groups and central services (IT, eco- and bioinformatics, mechanics workshop, greenhouses) will collaborate in a highly integrated environment.
iDiv is located in the city of Leipzig and jointly hosted by the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU), the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and the Leipzig University (UL). It is supported by the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), the Max Planck Society, the Leibniz Association and the Free State of Saxony.
Salary: Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L
– syntheses and meta-analyses
– set-up and management of a soil biodiversity database
– organisation of international workshops
– PhD in biology or bioinformatics
– experience in assembling and handling large datasets and with spatial/macroecological analyses
– experience in performing meta-analyses and syntheses
– very good knowledge of statistical modelling in R
– scientific background in ecology/soil ecology
– expertise in chairing scientific discussions and good skills of presenting scientific results
– expertise in writing and leading multi-authored papers
– enthusiasm in processing large datasets
– team spirit
– very good spoken and written English skills
To apply, email a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, two representative publications, the names and contact information for three references and PhD, MA/BA/Diploma certificates to: [log in to unmask] All applications should be written in English and be sent in a single PDF file with reference file number (123/2016) in the subject line. Applications are accepted until 7/21/2016.
We prefer applications in electronic form (hard copy applications can be sent to German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research – iDiv; Katrin Penner; Deutscher Platz 5e; 04103 Leipzig). For queries on the application process, please contact Prof. Dr. Nico Eisenhauer ([log in to unmask]).
Applying via email is questionable under data protection law. The sender assumes full responsibility.
Severely disabled persons are encouraged to apply and will be given preference in the case of equal suitability.