Plant experiments and survey in nature
Lab: UMR5174 EDB Evolution and Biological Diversity
Place: Toulouse (31)
Type of contract: short term contract
Duration of contract: 2 years
Date of hiring wanted: 1st September 2017
Desired level of education: Bachelor’s degree or higher
Experience: 3 to 5 years
Salary: approximately 2000 € gross rate / 1700 € net rate monthly (for experience of at least 3-5 years)
The research assistant will be part of the EDB lab (Pujol’s research group) and the ANGI ERC project. The objective of this project is to investigate the impact of non-genetic inheritance on the ability to adapt to environmental constraints of Antirrhinum majus (Muflier), both in natural populations and through experiments in controlled conditions.
– Organization and realization of plant experiments in controlled conditions: Preparation, management, implementation and monitoring of the experiment, cultivation, controled crosses, morpho-physiological measurements and tissue sampling.
– Organization and realization of population surveys in the wild: measuring phenotypic (vegetative and reproductive) traits and sampling tissues. Use of GPS equipment for localization.
– Molecular biology work: DNA extraction, microsatellite markers PCR and genotyping.
– Management and analysis of the data collected and preparation of reports and oral presentations of the activities and results, participation in the writing of scientific articles.
– General knowledge in evolutionary ecology and population genetics.
– To master the tools for studying the biology of plant populations, the evolutionary ecology of natural plant populations and population genetics.
– Knowledge of several techniques for collecting and analyzing data related to the study (statistics, morphometry, tissue sampling, molecular biology, GIS, computer tool, etc.).
– adapt his/her activity to the project and manage the experiments (adapt the protocols according to the problems, operational knowledge of the rules and practices, draw up dashboards and files to follow-up the funding allocated, manage a team of students and specify the roles and objectives of each student).
The Lab Evolution & Diversité Biologique is a joint CNRS / ENSFEAE / IRD / Université Toulouse III Paul Sabatier research unit.
A part of the work will be done outside the site of Paul Sabatier University on the experimental platforms available for the cultivation of plants under controlled conditions (CNRS experimental station at Moulis) and outdoors (monitoring populations near Peyriac de mer / Bages, in the region « Occitanie » and possibly North East of Spain), possibly in rough conditions. The recruited research assistant will be potentially associated with the devellopment and the management of the project as well as with the publication of the results obtained (under condition of involvement).
Please contact Benoit Pujol ([email protected]) by sending a CV, a letter of motivation and contact details (email and phone) of two contacts for references. Deadline for application: 15/06/2017. An interview will be scheduled soon after this date for the selected applicants.