MSc or PhD positions are available within the Aquatic Ecosystem Research Programme (AER). The Aquatic Ecosystem Research Programme (AER) is an applied research programme of the University of KwaZulu-Natal in collaboration with the University of Mpumalanga and Rivers of Life. The AER is dedicated to the development of inland scientific aquatic ecology research and capacity development through formal research outputs and student training.
The goal of this study is to enhance the conservation of the Wester Indian Ocean (WIO) freshwater eels, and their contribution to the livelihoods of vulnerable human communities through sustainable fisheries. Our aim is to characterise the risk of multiple stressors to the largely unknown life cycle ecology of our local eels and their contribution to subsistence fisheries in the region. This project will include case studies in Kenya, Mozambique and in South Africa. MSc and PhD positions are available for the ecology, fisheries and risk assessment components of the study in South Africa.
The successful candidate will focus on eel recruitment and fish movement in the lower Thukela in South Africa and will be based in Pietermaritzburg, University of KwaZulu-Natal. The project will also include the monitoring of a fishpass using PIT tag telemetry in the lower Thukela.
• B.Sc., Hons. degree in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, zoology or similar (M.Sc for Ph.D candidates),
• Valid passport,
• Willingness to conduct field work and participate on surveys with other Post-graduate students within the research group,
• Drivers licence (experience driving 4x4s and towing trailers/boats would be an advantage)
• Enthusiastic, punctual, hard-working and pro-active,
• Skills in GIS and R would be an advantage.
• One post (fisheries) requires proficiency in Zulu.
All projects include competitive bursaries and project operational costs. Applicants should submit a covering letter with motivation for a project, a CV, copies of their academic transcripts, and contact information for at least two references. Please apply to [email protected] and [email protected]
International students are welcome to apply.
Application will be open until we find a suitable candidate.