A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Bryan Greenhouse, MD, MA in the Division of Infectious Diseases at U.C. San Francisco. The current position will focus on analysis of parasite genetics and epidemiologic data to characterize transmission and evolution of malaria parasites. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with a diverse team of scientists at UCSF and international collaborators on a number of exciting projects. This research includes work in malaria elimination regions, where densely sampled genetic data will be used to construct transmission networks, to
studies in areas with higher malaria burden leveraging broader scale spatial variation in genetic diversity. The fellow will be expected to develop and extend computational methods for deriving epidemiologically relevant information on malaria transmission from genetic, spatial, and epidemiologic data, and will be encouraged to develop an independent line of work under the mentorship of Bryan Greenhouse and co-mentorship of Rasmus Nielsen (U.C. Berkeley). Our work is directly connected to on-the-ground malaria control and elimination efforts, and the scientific output from this position is expected to directly affect interventions in the field in addition to leading to academic publications.
Competitive salary including full benefits will be provided commensurate with experience and qualifications.
– PhD in a relevant field (e.g. population genetics, computational biology, infectious disease dynamics)
– Strong background in population genetics
– Strong statistical and computational skills
– Demonstrated ability to produce independent, creative work
– Ability to work well as member of a team
– Strong written and oral communication skills
– Experience with geostatistical data analysis
– Experience in analysis/modelling of pathogen dynamics
– Experience with implementing Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC)
– Familiarity with performance and development laboratory genetic/genomic assays and data
To Apply: Please send a CV including publications, brief statement of research/career interests, and contact information for 3 references to Bryan Greenhouse, MD, MA at [email protected]