iDiv is the world-leading place for integrative biodiversity research with a central mission to promote theory-driven synthesis and data-driven theory. We focus research activities on experimental platforms like AquaDiva that addresses the vertical dimension of biodiversity. Within AquaDiva (http://www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de/) we aim to understand how water connects surface conditions set by land cover and land management to the biodiversity and biogeochemical functions of the subsurface, especially of the groundwater. With long-term and continuous observations, hypotheses about how seasonal variations and extreme events at the surface impact subsurface functional biodiversity, community structure and function are tested. During the last years we have collected many data sets encompassing detailed hydrochemical characterization and qualitative and quantitative molecular information covering all three domains of life (bacteria, archaea, eukaryotes) present in the groundwater.
What is needed now is a synthesis of this structured information, detailed biodiversity analyses, network analyses of bacteria-bacteria interaction and overall community interaction. In addition, we want to integrate the growing fields of macroecology with microbial ecology. For doing this, we seek an enthusiastic postdoc to join our multinational and interdisciplinary team (http://www.geomicrobiology.de/).
– Data analysis using advanced statistics mainly using R based multivariate statistics, network analysis toolboxes and modeling, e.g. structured equation modeling
– Meta-omic analyses and mining of molecular microbial physiology databases
– Teamwork within iDiv (especially with the groups for theory and synthesis) and other AquaDiva partners
– Co-supervision of doctoral researchers and supervision of master students
– Writing high-ranking scientific publication
Requirements / expected profile:
– PhD in (molecular) microbial ecology, ecology, or bioinformatics with a background in ecology
– Experience in working with omics´ databases (high-throughput DNA or RNA-sequencing)
– Training in multivariate statistics and network analysis
– Excellent knowledge of the English language in speaking and writing
– Solid experience in scientific publishing attested by first authored publications in ISI listed journals
Applications are accepted until May 31, 2017. Please use our application portal under apply.idiv.de.
All applications should include:
– Cover letter (in English) describing motivation, research interests & relevant experience
– Curriculum vitae in tabular form
– Two letters of recommendation
– Contact information of former professor(s)/ supervisor(s) who know the applicant
– Publication list
– Copy of doctoral certificate.
Hard copy applications can be sent to German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) Halle-Jena-Leipzig, Dr. Joanna Hanzel; Deutscher Platz 5e, 04103 Leipzig. Severely disabled persons are encouraged to apply and will be given preference in the case of equal suitability. Selected candidates will be invited to the interview in late June, 2017. For queries on the application process, please contact Dr. Joanna Hanzel ([email protected]); for research project questions, contact: Prof. Dr. Kirsten Küsel ([email protected]).