The Vantuna Research Group (VRG) (www.oxy.edu/vantuna-research-group) at Occidental College is offering a full-time (12 month) Postdoctoral Researcher position supervised by Drs. Dan Pondella and Amanda Zellmer (Occidental College & VRG) and Dr. Jeremy Claisse (Cal Poly Pomona & VRG). The VRG works on a variety of macro- and micro-scale research projects in the Southern California Bight. These include the evaluation of marine protected areas, subtidal rocky-reef restoration projects, artificial reefing technology, time-series analyses related to fisheries and climate change, fish life history studies, and the secondary production of fish and invertebrate biomass on oil platforms and natural reefs. The researcher must be self-motivated and willing to participate in team-oriented research on multiple ongoing projects. Primary responsibilities will include research associated with a 2-year Saltonstall-Kennedy Grant from NOAA Fisheries investigating the ecological and fisheries value of manmade marine habitats in southern California. This involves mapping natural and manmade reefs in the region, analyzing existing data to identify characteristics of high quality reef habitat, and modeling spatial patterns in biomass and production of fishes and invertebrates to compare the relative contributions of natural and manmade reefs. Day-to-day duties include substantive involvement in data analysis, database development and management, acquisition of new spatial data and metadata, and research synthesis. Duties will also include assisting in the preparation of grant proposals and reports related to this research. The researcher will be expected to develop manuscripts as lead author. Opportunities will also exist to develop and conduct their own research within the broader context of this position and to participate in field work, including ongoing kelp forest monitoring projects involving scientific scuba diving.
· PhD degree in a relevant scientific field
· Publication track record with first-author experience
· Extensive experience using GIS (e.g., ARC/INFO) software
· Programming skills and proficiency in R (or MATLAB/Python, with interest and ability to learn R)
· Experience applying remote sensing data or GIS methods to ecological problems
· Proficiency in statistical analysis
· Expertise in spatial ecological modeling, predictive species-habitat modeling, generalized linear models and/or generalized additive models
· Experience using remote sensing data, bathymetric data, and/or aerial photographs to map habitat and environmental characteristics
· Experience with multivariate analysis methods (e.g., ordination, CAP, PERMANOVA)
· Experience interacting with State or Federal marine resource management agencies
· Knowledge of taxonomy and identification of southern California marine algae, invertebrates, and fishes
· Current AAUS research scuba diving certification
The initial appointment will be made for 2 years, with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of external grant funding. Start date for this position can be anytime between March and July 1, 2016 depending on the candidate’s availability. The annual salary range for this position is $47,000 to $52,000, dependent on qualifications and experience. This is a fulltime appointment that includes a competitive benefits package including health, dental, life, and retirement. Additional opportunities to gain teaching experience and supplement income as an adjunct instructor in the Biology Department at Occidental College may also become available. Applications must include a CV, a cover letter describing experience, research accomplishments and interests, and three letters of reference. All applications should be sent to [email protected] with subject line indicating “Postdoctoral Position”; the three reference letters should be sent directly to the same email address. Review of applications will begin February 5, 2016, and will continue until the position is filled. Any inquiries regarding the position should be sent to [email protected]
Occidental College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law.